Following Cuvier, you argued for a relatively recent geological
"revolution" – a unique break with the past just prior to the
"present order of things" – for which you found evidence in
various cave deposits and fossils. However, you later converted to
an alternative explanation – the glacial theory – following a visit
to the Alps and a tour of Scotland with Louis Agassiz.
On GoogleEarth Tour pay particular attention to:
- Reliquiae Diluvianae
- +? Alps?
- +? Glen Roy?
Familiarize yourself with the following Episodes:
- Vindiciae Geologicae - Reliquiae Diluvianae
- 1840 Visit to Britain
Read and summarize:
- Appendix to Vindiciae Geologicae (p.38 of the pdf file)
- Reliquae Diluvianae, Part 2
- "On the evidences of glaciers in Scotland and the north of England" (Part 1)
- There is nothing wrong with having abandoned the diluvial camp in favor of
glaciation (in fact it is perhaps entirely to your credit): but your colleague and
friend Lyell is not entirely convinced and this might influence you in favor of
some "hybrid" theory.